Technical School Alliances
AEP has training alliances with various vocational and technical schools across our 11 state service territory. We work with these institutions to develop academic programs needed to prepare students for high-paying jobs in the utility industry. Internships may be available in partnership with some technical schools, depending on opportunities in each AEP location. Found below are academic programs offered:
- Alliance Railcar program prepares you to become a railcar car mechanic, performing various all-position welding operations and truck component rebuilds.
- Line Training program prepares you to work as lineman in the construction, maintenance, and repair of electric utility overhead and underground systems.
- Power Plant Technology program prepares you to perform basic equipment operating and maintenance functions required in electric utility power plants and other related industries.
- Transmission programs prepare you to become a transmission line mechanic, station electrician, station equipment specialist or electronic controls technician.
- Electrical Power Generation/Transmission/Distribution Dispatch program prepares you to become an electrical power generation dispatcher, transmission dispatcher, or distribution dispatcher. This program provides you with the basic concepts of the national power system, including production, transmission, distribution, and the power market.
- Nuclear Uniform Curriculum program prepares you for an entry level position in Radiation Protection, Operations, or Maintenance (Electrical, Mechanical, or Instrumentation and Controls).
For more information, please contact the admissions counselor at your desired campus.
- Belmont College, Power Plant Technology program
- Career & Technical Education Center (C-Tec), Line Training Program
- Columbus State Community College, Line Training programs, Electrical Power Generation/Transmission/Distribution Dispatch program
- Delaware Career Center, Line Training program
- Eastern Gateway Community College, Power Plant Technology and Distribution Line Training programs
- Mid-East Career & Technical Center, Line Training Program
- Owens Community College, Transmission and Line Training programs
- Pickaway-Ross Vocational School, Line Training program
- Stark State, Engineering Technology program (Transmission-Station)
- The Career Center at Marietta, Power Plant Technology program
- Tri-County Career Center, Line Training Program (High School Program)
- University of Rio Grande, Power Plant Technology & Maintenance programs
- Warren County Career Center, Line Training Program
- Washington State Community College, Power Plant Operator program
- Zane State, Engineering Technology program (Transmission-Station and Power Generation)