Public Service Company of Oklahoma Contributions
At PSO, we’re dedicated to working with those we serve to create positive change together. For more than a century PSO has provided Oklahomans with reliable electric service at competitive prices. We’re also committed to enhancing our state’s social and economic well-being through corporate philanthropy, volunteerism, and support for economic development.
As part of our commitment to help educate and inspire Oklahoma students, PSO contributes to educational initiatives and encourages our team to donate their time and talent to mentor students.
Highlights of our support for education include:
- Credits Count- PSO has a special emphasis on enhancing Science-Technology-Engineering and Math (STEM) education. We’re now in the third year of the PSO and American Electric Power (AEP) Foundation Credits Count℠ program to provide funding for students in Tulsa Public Schools to explore STEM fields and gain college credits while in high school. More than 15,000 students have participated since 2015.
- PSO CONNECTS- Our PSO CONNECTS program provides grants to nonprofit organizations and schools where our employees and retirees volunteer.
- STEM focus- We support school and organization robotics teams with grants from AEP, while our Teacher Vision Grants help fund classroom STEM initiatives. PSO also supports STEM education and student leadership through our support of Oklahoma FFA.
- Early Childhood Education- Our seventh annual Bright Start, Right Start Preschool Teacher Science Workshop was conducted last summer to incorporate science into preschool curricula. Outside the classroom we also support early learning by sponsoring Week of the Young Child activities throughout our service area.
- Partners in Education with Tulsa Public Schools (TPS)- We’re proud to be Partners in Education with three schools in the TPS system…Bunche Early Childhood Development Center, Chouteau Elementary, and Central Junior-Senior High School. PSO’s financial resources and employee volunteers help address student needs at TPS. Highlights of this enduring partnership include reading to preschoolers each Friday at Bunche, math and reading tutoring at Chouteau Elementary, and contributions of volunteer time and financial support to prepare Central Junior-Senior High School students for post-high school success.
Compassion and inspiration are part of our culture at PSO, and we support a wide range of education, human services, arts, and other endeavors across the state. We also leverage our contributions through grants from the AEP Foundation that are made on behalf of PSO. In 2017, PSO’s contributions to nonprofits and economic development, plus AEP Foundation grants on behalf of PSO, totaled more than $1.5 million…in the categories of pre-K through higher education, basic human needs, environmental stewardship, arts and culture, and grants to community organizations for economic development efforts.
PSO was honored to receive special recognition from the Tulsa Regional Chamber for the fifth consecutive year for PSO’s achievements in workforce diversity and inclusion.
Our efforts to encourage STEM teaching in the classroom and those of our employees who volunteer as STEM mentors to young students received national recognition when US2020 presented PSO the Excellence in Volunteer Mobilization STEM Mentoring Award for 2017. US2020 is a national organization that promotes STEM mentorship.
Our company is committed to enriching lives in the areas we serve, in part by contributing to our important community organizations and partners. Together, we deliver on that commitment with our time and financial resources. This report provides more detail on the nonprofit organizations, programs and community events that received a donation from us at a level of $100 or more in 2017.
President and Chief Operating Officer
Public Service Company of Oklahoma