Public Service Company of Oklahoma Contributions
At Public Service Company of Oklahoma (PSO), we celebrated our company’s Centennial in 2013. In our 100 years of operation as a leading electricity supplier in Oklahoma, PSO has created a legacy of service to our state, our communities and our customers. In addition to providing safe, reliable electricity to our 540,000 customers, we are dedicated to the betterment of the 232 communities we serve in Oklahoma.
Annually, our 1,500 employees work to improve the quality of life for all Oklahomans by investing thousands of hours of volunteer work at schools, community events, civic projects, mentoring young people, and working hard to ensure the success of the nonprofit agencies and civic causes across our great state.
PSO also provides financial support to hundreds of organizations that contribute to the well-being and vitality of the communities we serve. In this special report, we list the charitable nonprofit organizations, programs and community events that received a donation from us at a level of $500 or more in 2013.
As part of the American Electric Power system, PSO supports the awarding of grants from the AEP Foundation to a number of important projects and organizations in Oklahoma.
Some recent highlights of Foundation giving on behalf of PSO include:
- A $100,000 AEP Foundation grant in 2013 to the Armed Services YMCA at Lawton-Fort Sill, Oklahoma, for capital construction and renovation of facilities. The ASYMCA Lawton-Fort Sill was established in 1942 to meet the needs of military members and their families. It makes military life easier by providing very low-cost licensed, quality childcare; a Soldier Closet Store, giving away free household items and clothing; an Airport Military Welcome Center at the Lawton Fort-Sill Airport to assist traveling military and family; Friday Night Out, childcare for a special night out; a Food Pantry to assist military families; and a Comfort Fund to provide direct financial assistance to military families in need; plus a wide assortment of special events.
- A $75,000 grant in 2013 to the Oklahoma Partnership for School Readiness for early childhood literacy programs as part of a total $225,000 grant over three years (2011-2013). Over the past decade, PSO and the AEP Foundation, together, have contributed more than $2 million across the state to education programs from preschool through high school, including more than $735,000 for early childhood literacy programs. PSO’s interest in and support of early childhood programs started more than 30 years ago, and we have continued to sustain our tradition of partnering with communities and agencies on programs to ensure that children are ready to learn and succeed when they enter school.
- A $65,000 grant in 2013 as part of a three-year $195,000 (2011-2013) grant to the Foundation for Tulsa Public Schools on behalf of the Community Schools initiative of Tulsa Public Schools. In 2013, the AEP Foundation was honored to receive the Spirit of Innovation Award from the Foundation for Tulsa Public Schools for our contribution to this important initiative.
- A $75,000 grant as part of a five-year, $375,000 total contribution (2009-2013) to the Arts and Humanities Council of Tulsa in support of its new Hardesty Arts Center. The grant was for the Center's Kids Zone art education classroom.
- A $75,000 grant in 2013 for structural and internal repairs and equipment upgrades of the Idabel Early Head Start Center.
- A $50,000 grant in 2013 as part of a five-year $250,000 pledge (2010-2014) for the naming rights to the Extreme Fishes and Sea Turtles Experience exhibits at the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks.
In 2013, PSO’s own contributions to charitable nonprofit entities, plus AEP Foundation grants on behalf of PSO, totaled more than $1.3 million…primarily in the areas of education -- including early childhood education -- environmental stewardship, basic human needs, and arts and culture. PSO also provided more than $71,000 in mini-grants to community organizations for community economic development efforts.
At PSO, we take great pride in the significant role our company plays in the success of important community organizations and programs, and we appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
President and Chief Operating Officer
Public Service Company of Oklahoma