Join Women in Linework
A career as a lineworker offers an excellent salary, job stability, great benefits and opportunities for for advancement, all while also serving your community. Do you live in AEP's 11-state territory? Join Women in Linework (WiL) and let the future begin.
Along with local community partners that support women in the workforce, we’ve designed a six-week pre-apprenticeship training program to your linework career.
Learn More abount Women in Linework:
Interested? Complete this form
Have questions? email@example.com
An education designed to develop skills and competencies for success
Earn a seat in AEP’s Line School
As a Women in Linework participant, you'll receive the necessary foundation and training to become a skilled, in-demand worker in a well-paid field. The training is a blend of virtual and in-person courses hosted at an AEP lineworker training facility. You'll develop friendships and a support network in the classroom and the field, alongside other women.
Hear from three women who have achieved success as AEP line workers.
Receive stipends while attending the virtual and in-person classes.
A Foundation for Future Capitalization
Receive support and training to make a successful transition into a linework career upon graduation.
Training & License Examples
- Build skills in graphic arithmetic, mechanical concepts, and reading comprehension to prepare to pass the Construction & Skilled Trades (CAST) test.
- Course content designed to prepare students for long-term success in a career with AEP.
- Learn basic climbing techniques and other foundational skills required for linework.
Receive guidance from technical and professional mentors to help you navigate challenges and celebrate successes.
Are you ready to take steps to become a lineworker?
Step 1: Apply for WiL
- Age 18 or older
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Able to successfully pass a "physical strength assessment"
- Possess a "Safety First" attitude
- Live within 30 miles of assigned service center
- Have a valid state driver's license
- Ability to obtain a CDL permit
- Ability to pass DOT drug screen and DOT physical
- Passion to serve the community
Step 2: Prepare for a Career in Linework
- Classes are offered in a virtual format Monday-Thursday 4:30-9:00 PM (Days / times subject to change) for up to four weeks
- These classes help prepare the students to pass the Construction & Skilled Trades (CAST) pre-employment test. Students who successfully pass the CAST test will progress to the next phase of the program
- Participants will develop professional communication and problem solving competencies
Step 3: Building Foundational Skills
- Two required 8-hour workshops held on two consecutive Saturdays
- Develop foundational skills including basic tool identification, knot tying, pole climbing and hanging a crossbar. These skills are designed to prepare students to successfully complete the required assessment for entry into AEP’s Lineworker Apprenticeship Program and pre-employment hiring process
- Opportunity to meet AEP leadership and interact with existing AEP lineworkers
When: TBD - 2023
Climbing Clinic Location: AEP Ohio lineworker training facility in Groveport, OH