A brighter future together
2018 Community Connections Report
At American Electric Power we’re improving our customers’ experience, strengthening communities and energizing our employees to create a brighter future together. As an energy company we operate every hour of every day to safely provide more than 5.4 million customers in 11 states with reliable, affordable electricity. We are involved in the communities where we do business, and the boundless energy of our employees makes it all possible.
When hurricanes Harvey and Maria struck in 2017, our employees made $122,000 in personal donations to the AEP Emergency Disaster Relief Fund of The Salvation Army. The American Electric Power Foundation matched those donations 100 percent with a gift to the American Red Cross. In all, we donated $244,500 to help victims recover from the devastation.
In addition, AEP, our subsidiaries and contractors provided materials, technical expertise and line crews to help rebuild the electric infrastructure in Florida, Georgia and Puerto Rico as part of our industry’s mutual assistance program.
Our desire to assist with these extraordinary events did not deter us from responding to the everyday needs of organizations that improve student education from preschool to college, provide for basic human needs such as food and shelter or other local concerns.
During 2017, AEP, our operating companies and the AEP Foundation supported communities in the following ways:
- $25,000 to God’s Pantry Foodbank in Winchester, Kentucky, to feed hungry children, seniors and families
- $50,000 to the Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges, Ltd. in Tulsa, Oklahoma, to build an adaptive sports complex
- $150,000 to Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Northern Indiana, for programs to help youth explore and pursue educational and career opportunities in science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- $50,000 to the Texas Association of Community Action Agencies in Austin, Texas, to benefit low-income energy customers
- $35,000 to Hope (Arkansas) to construct a permanent home for a community garden and farmers market pavilion serving the entire community
- $1.58 million (over five years) to BridgeValley Community and Technical College in South Charleston, West Virginia, as part of Credits CountSM, the AEP Foundation’s signature education program. We have committed $14.2 million to the program which operates in all seven AEP operating company service areas.
While we donate dollars, we also use our boundless energy to put those dollars to good use—joining in community events like 5ks and parades, coaching sports teams, and tutoring students in math, science and reading. We also make repairs to homes of the elderly, help families build affordable, energy-efficient homes to stabilize neighborhoods, and even help pets find loving homes.
Our passion personifies our vision to create a new and brighter future for our customers and our communities.
Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer
American Electric Power
Charitable Giving by Focus Area
*Percentages based on local, corporate and AEP Foundation giving.
Read the AEP Foundation report