The power of people working together
2016 Community Connections Report
The power of people working together helps communities thrive. At American Electric Power, our employees use their boundless energy to accomplish whatever it takes to serve our customers and the communities where we live and work.
Through our Foundation’s Credits CountSM program, the AEP Foundation is creating educational opportunities to prepare middle and high school students for STEM careers. We support the United Way, Habitat for Humanity, and many others in their efforts to reduce poverty, prevent homelessness, and build safe, affordable housing. We work to improve the health and safety of our communities by supporting the American Red Cross and making electrical safety presentations. We are proud to bring our business acumen to economic development and help nurture artistic and cultural achievement. And we take seriously our responsibility to protect and enhance our environment.
During 2016, AEP, the American Electric Power Foundation and our operating companies donated $20.9 million to about 1,800 local organizations across our service territory. Our giving programs touched lives through monetary contributions and employee volunteerism across a wide range of programs and activities:
- $100,000 to the Muncie (Indiana) Children’s Museum Discovery Park to create an indoor learning center focused on science, technology, engineering and math education
- $25,000 from Appalachian Power Company to the American Red Cross in Charleston, West Virginia, to help flood victims
- $25,000 from Public Service Company of Oklahoma to the Philbrook Museum of Art’s MyMuseum Program for children’s arts education
- $50,000 to the Reeb Ave. Community Center in Columbus, Ohio, to support a multi-pronged effort to improve the lives of economically challenged residents on the city’s Southside
- $10,000 to the Elizabeth Richardson Center, Inc. in Springdale, Arkansas, to develop and monitor social and emotional skills for children with different abilities
None of these efforts would be possible without our employees. They are the best in the industry. They are compelled to give back to the communities that have given them so much. They roll up their sleeves, lace up their walking shoes, hop on their bikes—and in some cases play the drums—to raise funds, raise roofs or raise the spirits of those in need. Their passion powers a new and brighter future for our customers and our communities—their energy is boundless.
Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer
American Electric Power
Community Investment by Program Area
*Percentages based on local, corporate and AEP Foundation giving.