Our DEI Vision
We’re committed to a culture where differences are valued and recognized as a significant positive influence on AEP's ability to serve our employees, customers, suppliers and other key stakeholders.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Roadmap to 2025 sets goals and targets to increase the inclusion and advancement of underrepresented groups and establishes leadership accountability. Our DEI progress is tied to enterprise, business unit and operating company annual incentive compensation objectives, which is measured through our annual employee culture survey.
Establish leadership accountability around DEI outcomes
- Set leader DEI targets for representation, talent progression, learning, and succession
- Implement DEI leader accountabilities to track progress
- Increase communication across the enterprise about DEI progress
Build and maintain a workforce that reflects the communities we serve
- Increase the number of leaders from underrepresented groups within the enterprise and within successor pools
Promote an inclusive culture where ALL employees can thrive
- Increase DEI Engagement through programming, mentoring and development
- Measure ERG participation and effectiveness
Support the communities we serve so they will prosper
- Increase volunteerism and amplify community impact stories across service territories
- Increase spend with small and diverse businesses within our home office and operating company communities
Our Strategy in Action
We’re creating an inclusive work environment by empowering employees to engage and lead in our employee resource groups (ERGs). Their strategic priorities focus on building understanding and belonging in our workplaces, recruiting and retaining diverse employee and identifying community volunteerism opportunities.
Employee Resource Groups
- Abled and Differently Abled Allies Partnering Together (ADAPT)
- Asian-American Employee Partnership (AAEP)
- Black Employee Resource Group (BERG)
- Empowered Parents & Caregivers (EP|C)
- Hispanic Origin Latin American Employee Resource Group (HOLA)
- Military Veteran Employee Resource Group (MVERG)
- Native American Tribes Interacting Observing Networking (NATION)
- PRIDE Employee Resource Group
- Women @ Work Employee Resource Group (W@W)
Social and Racial Justice Grant Program
We’re committed to working with the communities we serve to advance equity for our employees, customers and neighbors of color. The American Electric Power Foundation created the Delivering on the Dream grant program to help dismantle systemic racism and prejudice while prioritizing diversity, equity and inclusion. This five-year, $5 million initial investment funds organizations with programs dedicated to advancing social and racial justice in the communities we serve.
We facilitate virtual “Safe Space Conversations” for employees to discuss how current race and equity issues impact them in the workplace and in their personal lives. In 2021, AEP’s CEO participated in an Anti-Asian Hate Safe Space conversation hosted by our Asian American employee resource group. Learn more about our affirmative action program, pay equity study and other diversity, equity and inclusion strategies.
We support and participate in numerous external partnerships and diversity, equity and inclusion commitments.
- Paradigm for Parity®
- CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion™ pledge
- Columbus Commitment: Achieving Pay Equity
- City of Tulsa’s Pay Equity Pledge in Oklahoma
- Take the Pledge for Action | National Association of Manufacturers
- Business Roundtable's Statement on the Purpose of a Corporation
- Edison Electric Institute (EEI) Advancing Racial Justice, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion