We’re redefining the future of energy and developing forward-thinking solutions that provide both clean and affordable energy to power the communities we serve. Our goal? Produce and deliver energy that empowers positive social, economic and environmental change.
AEP is at the forefront of the energy industry’s transformation. We’ve developed next-generation sustainability goals to guide us as we create a brighter energy future. Some highlights of our clean energy strategy include:
- Achieving net zero carbon dioxide emissions by 2050, with an interim goal to cut emissions 80% from 2000 levels by 2030
- Growing our renewable generation portfolio to approximately 50% of our total capacity by 2030
- Adding approximately 16,000 megawatts of regulated wind and solar through 2030
- Investing $8.2 billion in renewables through 2026
- Continuing to invest in a smarter, more modern power grid
- Educating customers on how to optimize their energy efficiency
- Advocating for and enabling wider usage of electric vehicles
HARNESSING THE WIND
With the help of wind turbines, we’re taking one of nature’s most powerful forces and converting it into clean electricity.
- Our North Central wind project includes the largest single-site wind farm in North America and will provide 1,484 megawatts of new clean energy to serve customers in Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.
- We plan to add up to 8,552 megawatts of new wind in our regulated states through 2030.
- Our joint venture Desert Sky and Trent Mesa wind farms in west Texas produce enough energy to power 75,000 homes.
TURNING RAYS TO WATTS
We’re capturing the sun’s potential and turning it into emissions-free energy to power homes, businesses and communities across the country.
- From 2022 to 2030, we plan to add up to 6,629 megawatts of solar energy to our portfolio.
- Indiana Michigan Power’s St. Joseph Solar Farm is a partnership with the University of Notre Dame and will generate 20 megawatts of clean energy, enough to power 2,700 homes annually. The solar plant will provide educational and research opportunities, and Notre Dame has committed to purchasing 40% of the renewable energy credits (RECs), which represent the clean energy generated by the solar farm. This is one of five solar power plants serving our customers in Indiana and Michigan.
TAKING THE LEAD
As one of the nation’s largest energy companies, we understand our important role in creating a sustainable future. AEP is leading by example while using the power of technology and innovation to reduce our environmental footprint.
- We plan to replace our entire fleet of cars and light-duty trucks with electric vehicle alternatives by 2030 and will convert medium- and heavy-duty vehicles as electric or hybrid models become available.
- We’re working to develop the new technologies that will enable a clean energy future, including our involvement in the Low-Carbon Resources Initiative to accelerate the research and development of low- and zero-carbon energy technologies.
- AEP is a member of the National Electric Highway Coalition, a collaboration among electric companies to provide electric vehicle fast charging stations that will allow the public to drive EVs with confidence along major U.S. travel corridors by the end of 2023.
Transforming Our Generation Fleet - AEP's Generating Resource Portfolio
Reduced carbon dioxide emissions 70% from
Reduced sulfur dioxide emissions 98% from
Reduced nitrogen oxide emissions 95% from
Reduced mercury emissions 97% from 2001-2021
Through our strategic initiatives, we’re committed to providing the energy our customers need while reducing our environmental footprint.Read report